As an integral part of Elwyn’s Comprehensive Wellness Program, Therapeutic Recreation services are designed to improve the social, physical, emotional, and cognitive well being of our individuals, employees, and community members with special needs.
A staff of talented recreation therapists offers a comprehensive array of recreational services, programs, special events, and activities designed to enhance self esteem and develop the individual on a holistic level. A significant emphasis is placed on Wellness Services, community interaction and normalization for ultimate carryover into community living. Programs are designed on an educational basis and are tailored to meet the various ages and cognitive and physical abilities of those we serve. While enjoyment and fulfillment remain the common goal, therapeutic recreation also encourages individuals to develop life-long leisure skills and interests.
The following array of services are offered:
For individuals who reside on Elwyn’s Media Campus, or qualify through Education Programs
- reality orientation
- remotivation and reminiscing
- life/leisure skills
- pet therapy
- community training
- outdoor pursuits
- special events
- summer camp program for Elwyn residents
Community/Employee Access Programs offered to community members for a nominal fee, and free of charge for Elwyn employees:
- water walking
- personalized water programs
- aqua action
- aqua easy
- water aerobics
- body sculpting (land aerobics)
Elwyn Recreation Therapists have Bachelor’s degrees in Recreation, Special Education, Music, Art, Dance or related fields. Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialists (CTRS) offer specialized diagnostic evaluation and leisure counseling.
Elwyn’s aquatic staff are licensed and certified by:
- American Red Cross: Lifeguard and First Aid Trained; Lifeguard and First Aid Training Instructors; Water Safety Instructors; Adapted Swimming Instructors; CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer
- Aquatic Exercise Association (AEA): Certified Aquatic Personal Trainer
- Department of Agriculture/Department of Environmental Resources: Certified Pool Operators; Certified Aquatic Facility Operators; Certified Pesticide Applicators and Instructors
- United States Water Fitness: Water Fitness Instructor; Water Fitness Coordinator
- YMCA: Certified Strength Trainer: Certification in Principles of Health and Fitness
Elwyn’s Therapeutic Recreation facilities include a fully-licensed indoor therapeutic pool and outdoor pool with locker rooms; the Edgemont Outdoor Soccer Field; the Edgemont Softball/ Little League Field; Zier Recreation Center, with an 11,000 square foot carpeted multipurpose gymnasium with weight room; Davidson Gym, with a 6,000 -square-foot regulation hardwood floor gymnasium; the Kivitz Therapeutic Services Building, housing the Art Therapy Room and Multipurpose Activity Room; and the Carl Sargent Greenhouse.
Award Winning Programs
- Recognition for Elwyn’s Therapeutic Recreation Services:
- 1992: United States Water Fitness Top Habilitative/Rehab Center
- 1993: American Heart Association Most Successful Company with High Quality/ Low Cost Program
- 1994: American Heart Association Most Resourceful Company
- 1995: American Heart Association Best Overall Company
- United States Water Fitness Association (one of) Top 100 Water Fitness Programs in the United States
Therapeutic Recreation activities are included in the per diem for individuals who reside in Elwyn’s Residential Media Campus programs. A nominal fee is charged to community members, and to other agencies serving individuals with special needs for participation in specialized Wellness programs, such as use of the indoor therapeutic pool.